With the outbreak of the First World War, many young men were called to arms. Some died at the front, others by illness. Their names are written on the Monument to the Fallen in Piazza Francesco Ferrucci, inaugurated in September 1921; while the “Parco della Rimembranza” was built in 1928 and became the park of all the victims of the war after the Second World War.
During the Second World War, Calamecca was sadly the scene of a massacre of 15 civilians, including two children, which left a deep wound in the country. The Nazi-fascist forces, pursued by the advance of the Allies, had moved towards the mountainous regions, where they could defend themselves thanks to a system of fortifications, casemates, bunkers, observation posts along the mountain ridge of Pistoia (the Gothic Line). Part of the buildings are still visible, also in the vicinity of Calamecca and Macchia Antonini.
Countries near the front line have been destroyed or emptied. On September 3, 1944, Calamecca received the displacement order: those who had not respected it would have been shot down.
Thus began the exodus of the inhabitants: some went to relatives, while others chose to reach the plain by following the course of Pescia.
Some hid in anti-aircraft shelters and mills in the woods, not far from Calamecca. Others, mostly families with seniors, stayed at home. Between 19 and 25 September, SS soldiers killed 15 people with grenades, knives and machine guns at home in shelters in the woods along the Pescia River. Two young women were taken to the Macchia Antonini barracks, where they were killed on 25 September after suffering violence. Two tombstones – one in Calamecca in the Square Francesco Ferrucci, the other in Macchia Antonini – are a reminder of this cruel and senseless violence towards innocent and unarmed people.